180-gram vinyl 3LP box set!
Mastered from the original analog tapes of Firma Melodiya
Pressed at Pallas in Germany! First release on 3LP version!
Recorded by Melodiya in the USSR. Renowned cellist Daniil Shafran and pianist Anton Ginsburg perform sonatas for cello and piano by Beethoven.
Daniil Shafran (1923-1997) was one of the world’s best known concert cellists for many years. Many musicians consider him one of the most interesting phenomena of not only cello performing art but also the entire music culture of the 20th century. As many researchers note, Shafran's performance combined intellect and poetic inspiration, an impeccable taste and technique, in-depth interpretation of the author’s idea and originality in revealing the contents of works.
Anton Ginsburg (1930-2002) was an outstanding pianist, pupil of Heinrich Neuhaus and winner of the Prague Spring International Competition. He was best known as an ensemble musician performing with Daniil Shafran, Mikhael Khomitzer and Igor Oistrakh. Many critics noted the pianist’s creative initiatives, temperament and keen musicality.
"Daniil Shafran is one of the highest level cellists by his performing manner, by his musical inclinations, and by the wealth and diversity of musical shades." — Carlo Zecchi
"The Russian cellist extraordinaire, Daniil Shafran whimsical, tripping, intense, sensual, refined and intelligent... a rich source of fascination and stimulation for anyone with an open musical mind. One thing’s for sure: no one plays this music quite like Shafran did." — The Gramophone Magazine
• 180-gram audiophile virgin vinyl
• First time released on 3LP Box Set edition
• Mastered from original analog master tapes of Firma Melodiya
• Audiophile analogue mastering by Daniel Krieger
• Cutting to lacquers at Schallplaten Schneid Technik GmbH in Germany
Daniil Shafran, cello
Anton Ginsburg, piano
Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
Cello Sonata No. 1 in F Major, Op. 5, No. 1
1. I. Adagio sostenuto. Allegro
2. II. Rondo. Allegro vivace
Cello Sonata No. 2 in G minor, Op. 5, No. 2
3. I. Adagio sostenuto ed espressivo. Allegro molto piu tosto presto
1. II. Rondo. Allegro
Cello Sonata No. 3 in A Major, Op. 69
2. I. Allegro, ma non tanto
3. II. Scherzo. Allegro molto
4. III. Adagio cantabile - Allegro vivace
Cello Sonata No. 4 in C Major, Op. 102, No. 1
1. I. Andante - Allegro vivace
2. II. Adagio - Allegro vivace
Cello Sonata No. 5 in D Major, Op. 102, No. 2
3. I. Allegro con brio
4. II. Adagio con molto sentimento d'affetto